[Fsf-friends] [Fwd: Re: [Fsf-tn] Kopete is closed for patent infringement]

Anand Babu ab@gnu.org.in
Wed Apr 13 11:41:43 IST 2005

,----[ "Kanti  Jadia" <j_kanti@rediffmail.com> ]
| Further to this,can somebody clarify the following points.
|
| 1. Can we get  kopete hosted in India
| 2. Is it legal in India to reverse engineer software ( for learning
| or creating a compatible system )
|
| Regards
|
| Kanti
`----
Though the threat is *real*, their home page is just a campaign
against software patents. They have not been asked to shutdown yet.

Moving the Kopete project to India with an Indian programmer taking
the ownership is a possibility, but it only partially solves the
problem. i.e. it can only help the project continue its development
and distribution to countries that does not support software patents.

    "Software-patent is a global issue".

My Freehoo project is an instant messenger too. I will not shut it
down even if I receive threats.

--
Anand Babu
GPG Key ID: 0x62E15A31