[Fsf-friends] Fwd: [nagarjun@gnowledge.org: [ILUG-BOM] Tally and GNU/Linux]

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip@lug-delhi.org
Tue Apr 12 18:31:51 IST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 17:53 +0530, Nagarjuna G. wrote:
> You reply suggests, that it is possible to take the
> data out of Tally, can you inform how?

Well, it is possible to take data out of any application. :)
We need to reverse engineer this data.
In Tally's case, Tally stores all data for every client in a separate
directory. I am sure that earlier versions of Tally(like the very
popular DOS version) didnt implement embedded databases on their own. So
their data files would be some easily breakable format. Newer versions
do claim some kind of encryption I think. But in these cases the formats
are likely just extended versions of the earlier file formats with
additionals encryption added ( I can be very wrong here)!

In any case, I dont think we should discuss finer details on this matter
on this list :)

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip@puroga.com
Work: http://www.puroga.com   *    Home/Blog: http://www.sandipb.net/blog

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3