[Fsf-friends] Re: Ubuntu GNU/Linux

Ramanraj K ramanraj.k@gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 06:23:07 IST 2005

,----[Anand Babu wrote: ]
|,----[ Ramanraj K <ramanraj.k@gmail.com> ]
|| [ Re: Workshop on TRIPS Treaty and Computer Programs at UoM ]
|| participants may be people totally new to free software.  We have
|| received about 100 Ubuntu CD sets, which we will distribute to the
|| participants to introduce them to free software.
|`----
| Though Ubuntu team did a very nice job, they call their distribution
| (operating system) as Linux and not as GNU/Linux. It concerns me to
| promote them.
`----

The outer  wrapper has the  picture of three charming  persons holding
each  other, arm to  arm in  support, forming  the Ubuntu  circle that
clearly  depicts the  core  free software  philosophy  of sharing  and
"humanity towards  others", as graphically  as possible, and  the fine
print in the midst of all this says: "free linux software" and "ubuntu
- linux for  human beings".   On the reverse,  "Ubuntu" and  "Free and
Open  Source  Software"  are  the prominent  headings  giving  further
details about both.  But, there must be many who miss the big picture,
and for their benefit, I wish Ubuntu accepts your request.

One of the founders of the  Ubunu project is Lorenzo, an old member of
the FSF/GNU Project webmasters  board, who appears to have "converted"
now.  http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/LorenzoHernandezGarciaHierro

Free  Software movement  includes  all our  Open  Source friends,  who
prefer calling  GNU/Linux merely as "Linux".  I  strongly advocate use
of  "Free Software"  terminology particularly  in legal  documents and
wherever  accuracy,  correctness, truth,  and  validity are  extremely
important and  crucial.  But, "FOSS", "Free and  Open Source Software"
terminology  have been  given  currency  by many  people  in the  free
software movement,  and there is little  point in objecting  to use of
that terminology.  If anyone is  really concerned about it, they would
probably first try convincing some of  the people who sit on FSF Award
Selection Committees,  FSF working groups, many  of whom I  know to be
*actively promoting*  use of "Linux", "Open  Source", FOSS Terminology
and  *severely critical*  of "GNU/Linux"  and "Free  Software".  Using
"Open Source" people or resources when it is convenient, but attacking
them at other times is likely  to be seen as hipocracy rather than any
sincere faith in Free Software philosophy.

Recognising  our "Open Source"  friends as  those providing  drive and
momentum to  Free Software will  help in avoiding needless  issues and
make it  easier to  avail their assistance  to take the  free software
movement forward.