[Fsf-friends] Re: PDF issues

Tathagata Banerjee tathagatabanerjee@gmx.net
Wed Sep 29 00:27:04 IST 2004

On Saturday 25 September 2004 15:26, Nagarjuna wrote:
> Last saturday in the FSF group meeting at Mumbai we discussed the
> possibility of cleaning up the pdf files, which are actually made
> using non-free software.  Sayamindu said he will take care of this and
> will send the files back.  Then the book will be uplaoded at FSF site.
>
> Nagarjuna

i have doubts whether 'cleansing' the pdf-s in this way will be a meaningful
exercise. no amount of cleansing can delete the truth that the files were
created using non-free software. all we can hope to achieve is hide that
truth from the public. i understand the importance of maintaining a clean
image, but i think it will be more honest and more in keeping with our moral
integrity to keep the files as they are, and add an apology for using
non-free programs, and an explanation regarding why it was necessary to use
them.

- t.
--
cogito, ergo es.