[Fsf-friends] Continuation....of Basics......

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil@vsnl.net
Sun Sep 26 11:50:27 IST 2004

Sandip Bhattacharya said on Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 11:22:10AM +0530,:

 > Just curious, is calling a piece of software "GNU software" instead of
 > "Free software" diminish the intentions of FSF?
 >
 > As far as I see, the nomenclature has two purposes:
 > 1. Giving the term Freedom enough credit.
 > 2. Giving FSF enough credit.

There is something  the GNU project, whose objective  is to create the
GNU operating  system. That project  has everything required to  run a
full fledged operating system. That  project uses the Hurd kernel, and
currently, the only distribution based on GNU/Hurd is Debian.

The GCC, bash, *everything* in  coreutils package, the glibc, etc. are
part of  the GNU Project.  GNU software is  software which is  part of
the GNU project.

Your software need not be GNU software to be free. To make it free, it
is sufficient that you release your software under a free license.

But, all GNU software *is* free software.

HTH,

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com
If your mail client does not support HTML, click here