[Fsf-friends] Sensitivity to language

Ragavan Srinivasan ragava@gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 13:40:42 IST 2004

> Nuances of the English language, or any language for that matter, are of
> deep interest to software developers in particular.     Many programming
> languages, lexical parsers, tools and standards center around use of
> language, and fine sensitivity to language is an important pre-requisite
> for any kind of understanding.

I agree, but you are talking about a different context here.

>Using "Open Source" terminology to refer
> to Free Software in the principal support list of the FSF-I may be
> excusable, but for heaven sake, please use only "Free Software"
> terminology in legislation or other documents that qualify as records
> for posterity. To avoid needless confusion and errors, it is important
> to use the right terminology, but if this is such an unimportant and
> trivial issue for you, could you not gracefully accept the requests made
> to use "Free Software" terminology, and proceed with your "constructive"
> work?

I have no problems using 'free software' and I do not think I meant
the terminology to be trivial or unimportant. What I said was that I
would like to be able to work together with people that have similar
ideals and objectives and work on a common agenda/platform. I do not
want to argue about terminology as I don't think I can contribute to
that discussion.

>  > That said, I just joined this mailing list and do realize the list is
>  > for free software advocates, and if the majority are religious about
>  > the necessity to restrict the discussions/debates to conform to the
>  > strictest definitions of free, then I will refrain from posting here
>  > on issues that may not lend themselves well to that definition.
>
> Should the word "free" itself be chained and locked up?

No. I did not say/imply that.

> Respecting the
> purposes, goals and objectives of this list is easy and not onerous.

 Again, I have no problems respecting the purposes and objectives of
the list, and will continue to use 'free software' in any future
discussions. In fact, if you read my words above, I said
" I will refrain from posting here on issues that may not lend
themselves well to that definition."
which in essence conveys my willingness to respect the rules of the list.

> We are a bunch of volunteers sharing ideas, hoping for positive changes
> around us.  You may get lucky in finding like minded people here, just
> as the rest us who belive and practise the philosophy of love and
> sharing behind Free Software have already found.

Thank you. I definitely hope so. I appreciate you sharing your
thoughts. There is a lot of work to be done, and it always helps to
have like minded people to work with. :)

Regards,
Ragavan