[Fsf-friends] Continuation....of Basics......

Joe Steeve joe_steeve@gmx.net
Thu Sep 23 20:52:41 IST 2004

> 2. With non-free softwares, you can be sure of what features are present
> and what are not and what are the known bugs (as the company producing
> it is bound to make those details available to its customers). But with

Really? Please check your facts. Almost every bug with the Windows Operating
System is patched after some one writes a exploit virus for it. (Melissa,
w32Blaster, Sazzer,..)

> free s/w, Careless developers might not feel the same responsibility to

Free software is not developed by careless developers. It is developed by
volunteers. Volunteers who love to program. Who love computing. These
volunteers cannot be compared with regular programmers employed in software
production houses. Here, the programmers are usually forced to do something
that they probably dont like. One of my friends working in Infosys hates
computers (He is a EEE engineer). He is programming today for a living.
Please note., there is a difference in programming for a living and
programming for passion. A passionate programmer puts his best effort to
make beautiful programs. He knows the trade very well.

Have you ever used gcc + binutils + gdb. Do you think the people who
programmed that are "careless developers??". Please look into the autotools
(Autoconf + Automake + Libtool). That is not some mediocre joke. It is so
professional that even propreitary production houses shamelessly use it. Can
someone think of having a network of GUIs?? Did a "careless developer" think
of making the X so powerful that I can actually open two GUI applications on
a remote machine whose display comes on my terminal? Did a "careless
developer" develop Guile.. I dont see even one single "heavily funded"
proprietary software development house bring out something so smart and neat
as Guile.

Cheers,
Joe

--
A proud GNU user.
Homepage: http://www.joesteeve.tk/

--
Free the code; Free the user
[Copying allowed under GFDL (C) Vijaykumar]

Homepage: http://www.joesteeve.tk/
Weblog     : http://gnukid.blogspot.com/

+++ GMX DSL Premiumtarife 3 Monate gratis* + WLAN-Router 0,- EUR* +++
Clevere DSL-Nutzer wechseln jetzt zu GMX: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl