[Fsf-friends] Continuation....of Basics......

Anurag anurag@hbcse.tifr.res.in
Thu Sep 23 13:43:27 IST 2004

Sriharsha Vedurmudi wrote:

> 3. Will the developers with malicious intent not play around with free
> software and trick many unsuspecting people into loading the software
> (that has been maliciously modified by them), therby compromising
> heavily on the security of the companies confidential data. How is
> this countered?

Agreed, you have the source code to modify it, and maybe add malicious
things... but who is going to use package distributed by you... i may
not trust you and insist on using the package distributed by its
original author... You can't remove name of its original author from it...

> PS: I never know till date the expansion of GNU (ya, I've been told
> its GNU Not Free, but what that first word GNU stands for is unknown.
> Is it proprietary? :-) )

GNU = GNU's Not Unix... sometime visit  < www.gnu.org >

-Anurag

gnu /noo/ n. Ox like antelope; (abbr.) /gnoo/ n.
    (recursive acronym) Gnu's Not Unix.