[Fsf-friends] Continuation....of Basics......

Sriharsha Vedurmudi sriharsha.v@redpinesignals.com
Thu Sep 23 18:52:10 IST 2004

Again,

2. With non-free softwares, you can be sure of what features are present
and what are not and what are the known bugs (as the company producing
it is bound to make those details available to its customers). But with
free s/w, Careless developers might not feel the same responsibility to
update the documentation of the software or even the program description
comments. So, a user downloading the software, can only trust God that
what he/she is downloading is what he/she is expecting. How is this
problem solved?

3. Will the developers with malicious intent not play around with free
software and trick many unsuspecting people into loading the software
(that has been maliciously modified by them), therby compromising
heavily on the security of the companies confidential data. How is this
countered?

4. Ultimately, is there any place for Responsibility / Answerablity in
Free Software (unless voluntarily taken up by individuals)?

_Sriharsha_

PS: I never know till date the expansion of GNU (ya, I've been told its
GNU Not Free, but what that first word GNU stands for is unknown. Is it
proprietary? :-) )