[Fsf-friends] Basics...

Sriharsha Vedurmudi sriharsha.v@redpinesignals.com
Thu Sep 23 18:34:57 IST 2004

Dear All,

    being new to this '/Free/' world and following the debate between
Mr.Sasi and Mr. Raman, I am unable to find answers to a few questions
(about the movement). Accepted I have not tried too hard to search the
net for answers. I'd appreciate if anyone answers, but its ok even
otherwise.

1. /Free Software/ implies that the software is open for anyone and
everyone, right from its conceptual phase all through its life-cycle.

    Its just like a person saying "Hey, I got this idea and Im trying to
build this system, any one interested to lend a hand?". If someone is
interested, they either team up with the original thinker or (if the
system is still in conceptual phase) start developing on their own but
leave the latest progress at a common place for anyone to
see/modify/(delete?) :-) . Once the work reaches a stage where is can
stand out, it is put for the public (probably only see/modify/download).

    All through these phases, not a single person gains anything in
terms of money (Im not in favor of minting money, per se). So, our
professional satisfaction apart, how will this benifit a common
programmer/software developer? Im afraid I have not understood how
companies are expected to survive if they cannot charge for the efforts
put in, in order to make the software qualified as Free Software. So, it
is only the companies who develop custom solutions to other firms (just
because the other firms cannot do it on their own either due to lack of
in-house expertise or facilities) that can charge for the software.

    Writing the above lines I feel, A company developing custom software
for clients (and charging for the same), can in-turn contribute a part
of their profits to fund developers working on free software. In turn
the company can simply use the free s/w developed by these developers to
develop their own s/w for customers. Is this the essence of Free
Software in a nut shell?

Regards,
Sriharsha.