[Fsf-friends] [Fwd: Proforma for membership records]

Annamalai Gurusami annamalai.gurusami@EMAIL.masconit.com
Wed Sep 22 18:57:41 IST 2004

Anurag <anurag@hbcse.tifr.res.in> writes:

> For that matter, I'd like to point out the infrastructure that is
> available at C-DAC Mumbai (formely NCST). They have something like
> 75 computers with Windows 2000 installed. Now the irony is that, for
> writing programs and compiling them, students are supposed to
> connect to a GNU/Linux server using a proprietary SSH client and
> write/compile programs there...  This is called higher education!

Been there (at NCST, Bangalore)!  Felt the same frustration!  Never
was able to figure out who decides what OS to use in the lab.  Many of
the projects they work on doesn't need Windows at all.

But that cannot be an excuse for using Windows (or promoting a
proprietary document format) at IISc!

Rgds,
anna