[Fsf-friends] Source GPL, Binary Demo

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip@lug-delhi.org
Fri Sep 3 22:39:23 IST 2004

On Friday 03 Sep 2004 9:20 pm, H S Rai wrote:
> With 2.xx version, they say, source is under GPL and on their web-site
> demo versions are there  for Linux  as well as for  MS-windows, which
> terminate after every 10 minutes.
>
> Then what sort of GPL is it for source code?

It is a dual licence. Binaries are given under a different licence. Similar to
QT.

You can compile QT on windows - in fact, there is a project about compiling qt
on windows (http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/) which says in the
project page:
"The port is completly based on the gpl´ed qt/x11 sources in the kde-cygwin
cvs by commenting out all X11 functions and filling in the corresponding
win32 functions. To avoid licensing problems we only accept contributions
from people, who don't have access to the original qt-windows sources."

Similarly, you can go ahead and download the qcad sources and compile it for
use without restrictions. It compiles cleanly - I have a source compiled
installation for my personal experiments.

So from an users point of view, the value addition that you get for buying
qcad, is of getting a packaged version of the software. From a larger point
of view ofcourse, paying would keep the company alive, and would ensure that
further dedicated development happens on the software.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip@puroga.com
Work: http://www.puroga.com        *         Home: http://www.sandipb.net

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3

You need to install an RTFM interface.