[Fwd: Re: [Ilugc] [Fwd: [Fsf-friends] Re: DotNet]]

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip@lug-delhi.org
Wed Oct 27 23:58:27 IST 2004

Ramanraj K wrote:
> My two cents.  If someone from MS is going to talk about an MS only
> product or MS only tools that are not OSS (and have no direct
> relevance to the lug), however technical it might be, I think the
> answer should be NO.  Same goes for a Mac.  IMHO, that is completely
> off-topic for a LUG.  LUGs are not only-tech-groups.  There are
> certain philosophies and common sense rules that we do follow.

We have had quite loud discussions in this matter at ILUG-Delhi. The
general consensus is that private sponsorship is acceptable, there will be
no opportunity for any vendor to talk about proprietary products.

Talking about .Net is a bit into the gray area though, because it has some
relevance to the Mono community. However, a condition can be put, that the
only implementations that can be demonstrated, would be using FOSS
toolkits, and not using Visual Studio IDE or the MS command line .Net
compiler. I personally believe this is a reasonable condition, which wont
let other people complain that we are "prejudiced to the company".

- Sandip

--
"সন্দীপ"
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip@puroga.com

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3