[Fwd: Re: [Ilugc] [Fwd: [Fsf-friends] Re: DotNet]]

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Wed Oct 27 22:51:02 IST 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Ilugc] [Fwd: [Fsf-friends] Re: DotNet]
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:59:09 +0530
From: Prabhu Ramachandran <prabhu_r@users.sourceforge.net>
To: kumarayil@asianetindia.com
CC: ilugc@ae.iitm.ac.in

Hi,

      >> If anybody has serious objections (that is they DONT want the
      >> >Microsoft person to speak) regarding this please let me know.

      DK> I do like to point out that in a not-so-recent interview to
      DK> one of the computer magazines in India (forgot which, might
      DK> have been PCQuest or something), Microsoft India's
      DK> some-big-shot mentioned (not in so many words) that part of
      DK> their strategy in India is to "infiltrate" the LUGs and slowly
      DK> brainwash these LUGs into being MUGs (Microsoft User Groups -
      DK> pun intended :) . Let us not be the first or only LUG to fall
      DK> into that trap.

My two cents.  If someone from MS is going to talk about an MS only
product or MS only tools that are not OSS (and have no direct
relevance to the lug), however technical it might be, I think the
answer should be NO.  Same goes for a Mac.  IMHO, that is completely
off-topic for a LUG.  LUGs are not only-tech-groups.  There are
certain philosophies and common sense rules that we do follow.

As regards MS's strategy to 'brainwash' lug members.  Hehe, nice try.
Its dumb plans like these that really get my rolling my eyes over.

The significant thing about OSS is that the bar to entry is very low
and the distribution mechanisms allow me to scratch my itch and let
others use the tools I built in that process to scratch theirs.  Its a
community from the ground up.  Any community that is based on a policy
of unmotivated mutual help and sharing builds an extremely strong and
robust emotional bond.  The instant you bring a company to the party
that does not understand this, the company will be simply ignored like
an outsider in a family affair.

This is simply not a community that revolves around a mega-corp whose
raison d'etre is to make a profit and please its shareholders.  This
is the definition of a successful company and MS is probably one of
the most successful ones around.  So if MUGs are to be as successful
and meaningful to their members as LUGs then MSFT would cease to exist
(atleast in its current form).  Heads I win, tails you lose.

cheers,
prabhu