[Fsf-friends] Fighting FUD Agents with Facts

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Mon Oct 25 05:06:27 IST 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: RE.Serious investigations into UNIX and Windows
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 22:27:10 -0600
From: Jon Drews <jon.drews@gmail.com>
To: estover@olc.edu
CC: freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org

More information here Ed and others. I actually came across the
Microsoft site that offered gcc for it's UNIX tools. I couldn't
believe it when I saw it:

Microsoft uses open source, despite critical stance
http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/06/27/010627hnmsfree.html
By Matt Berger
June 27, 2001 12:10 pm PT

DESPITE MICROSOFT'S AGGRESSIVE criticism of the open-source movement
-- most notably one of its flagship software licences, the GNU General
Public License -- the company has quietly been publishing source code
under that license for one of its own products for the past two
years...

...Microsoft distributes a product called Interix, which is used by
customers to port Unix applications to its Windows operating systems.
Interix includes a software compiler called the GCC (GNU Compiler
Collection), a product first developed by Free Software Foundation
founder Richard Stallman that is covered by the General Public License
(GPL).

--------------------------
Here is the actual site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/productinfo/overview/default.asp
EXCERPT:
UNIX on Windows

The Interix subsystem technology provides a universal environment that
can run both Windows and UNIX applications on a single system. Through
Interix, you can reduce development time while making use of existing
employee skill sets.

               <snip>

Windows Services for UNIX 3.5 also includes more than 300 UNIX
utilities and tools that behave as they would on UNIX systems, plus a
software development kit (SDK) that supports more than 1,900 UNIX APIs
and migration tools, including make, rcs, yacc, lex, cc, c89, nm,
strip, gbd, as well as the gcc, g++, and g77 compilers.

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:55:32 -0600, Ed Stover <estover@olc.edu> wrote:

  > The person i'm trying
  > to convince is a hardcore MS fan so i need real evidence of why BSD is
  > better than MS products in server environments.

   So if FreeBSD and Open Source are unworthy replacements for Windows
how come all these tools are being sold by them?