[Fsf-friends] Re: user group assn.

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 15:39:34 IST 2004

--- Sandip Bhattacharya <sandip@lug-delhi.org> wrote:

> Rakesh 'arky' Ambati wrote:
> > As pointed out by Pai, NASSCOM has a charter to be
> > watchdog for legal use of software, it an
> assocation
> > that _enforceses_.An organisation that works for
> Free
> > Software should have its goal to educate not
> enforce.
>
> Sometimes the freedom might need to be enforced. A
> case in point.

> When cases of GPL violation happens of Free software
> developed outside the
> country, the original software developers are quite
> helpless in doing much
> about it in India rather than put up notices on
> their web pages, and a few
> emails.

That's a good point Sandip, perhaps we don't want to
have Agent Smiths to come and enforce laws as NASSCOM
does.

> We need a watchdog in India to see the the freedom
> of software is
> maintained. Since the software is owned by the
> community, there is right
> now no formal body to watch for the software.

The Free Software movement from the begining worked
like a tribe rather than organistion with specific
wings to keep tabs,I might brings to notice that Pai
and other have many times brought to our notice many
Free Software based companies right here doing
mal-practices that you have pointed out and these
problems have been sorted out.

> point of view might be that we concentrate
> on people "giving"
> only, rather than people "taking" and not "giving"
> back.

I don't get you, what does the above line mean.

--arky
____

=====
\_|       Rakesh 'arky' Ambati       |