[Fsf-friends] Re: user group assn.

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip@lug-delhi.org
Wed Oct 20 03:49:29 IST 2004

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati wrote:
> As pointed out by Pai, NASSCOM has a charter to be
> watchdog for legal use of software, it an assocation
> that _enforceses_.An organisation that works for Free
> Software should have its goal to educate not enforce.

Sometimes the freedom might need to be enforced. A case in point.

When cases of GPL violation happens of Free software developed outside the
country, the original software developers are quite helpless in doing much
about it in India rather than put up notices on their web pages, and a few
emails.

We need a watchdog in India to see the the freedom of software is
maintained. Since the software is owned by the community, there is right
now no formal body to watch for the software.

The other point of view might be that we concentrate on people "giving"
only, rather than people "taking" and not "giving" back.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip@puroga.com
Work: http://www.puroga.com        *         Home: http://www.sandipb.net

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3