[Fsf-friends] Time and chance to act and produce a result ! Go to schools !!

Praveen A pravi.a@gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 18:29:11 IST 2004

Hello friends,

I got a chance to go through the text books of 8, 9 and 10th
standard for IT @ School programme [Kerala]. I was very happy to see GNU/Linux
every where with equal or more importance than windows. The book
covers all basic functions like word processing, graphics processing
... But the fact is different from the text books.

Today I went to our nearby school to arrange a training programme
for the teachers so that they get some confidence in what they teach.
But what I learned from there is very disturbing. The higher
authorities try to avoid GNU/Linux completely out of the picture by
instructing the teachers to only teach Windows. They are gone so far
as to tell them that since it is free software there are so many
problems and they should not use it and they should not let the
students use it either. One thing I could understand that though the
teachers are interested they don't know the things and they don't feel
the confidence to do it. So what we are planning is to give them
training in GNU/Linux this vaction (December). I hope by sharing the
experience and knowledge we posses to them we can help spreading the
cause.

I hope all of us can do a better work in gong to the schools
with our friends and help them understand the underlying philosophy as
well as expertise so that we can spread the message of Free software
and GNU. It is very important that the younger generation be aware of
their options and choices. So this is a golden opportunity for every
one of us to act. I hope we can make use of this opportunity to fulfil
our dreams of free software and free society.

With love
Praveen A