[Fsf-friends] on our own

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Thu Oct 14 22:26:49 IST 2004

Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
  > Ramanraj K said on Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 06:24:35AM +0530,:
  >

  >  > The Hindu reported that IBM is in pact with C-DAT, IIT Bombay
  >
  > FWIW, IBM sees nothing newsworthy in this event. See the `latest' on
  >
  > http://www.ibm.com/news/in/

It is newsworthy to us with only ~40k in the kitty.  Recently, we have
been reading about the Bangla book project that could use 100k, and at a
meet I recently attended, atleast one free software project dev was
sincerely asking for funds to continue with the good work being done.

Gandhi once said that agricultural universities worth their salt would
earn from their produce.  Free software is public wealth, and no less a
source of income for FSF India.  We could have a few distros for sale so
that they would earn revenue.   Gov. institutions and many others may
want to obtain source files of free software from a source they can
trust, and FSF India may be the only real option. Mature software could
be used to earn revenue to bridge the gap between production and usability.

Until we have our own rich revenue streams, linking those who can
provide funds with those in need of it to complete projects my be of
some help.