[Fsf-friends] IBM in pact with C-DAT, IIT Mumbai

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Sun Oct 10 10:00:02 IST 2004

 > Are you really sure? CDAC stands for the Centre for Development of
 > Advanced Computing. I wonder what the hyphen is doing in C-DAC. If
 > needless hyphens are ok, I prefer to call it C-DA-C :) The CDAC website
 > seems to be ncst.ernet.in. So, the ghost of NCST: National Centre for
 > Software Technology is still around.

Sivasankar wrote:
<quote>
   On acronyms: CDAC was originally called C-DACT from 1986-1988, before
getting a name change to CDAC, when 18 months of their original time-bound
mission had elapsed without anything concrete having been accomplished.

   NCST is the organization orginally called NCSDCT, and they're the
grand-daddies of Unix adoption in India. In short, it's good to have
NCST involved, but of course, it's even better to just give the money
to the LUGs :-). We can do a better job popularizing FLOSS.

</quote>
I whole heartedly agree with Sivasankar :)