[Fsf-friends] Institutional Model vs. Bazaar Model

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil@vsnl.net
Sat Oct 2 23:40:44 IST 2004

Ramanraj K said on Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 11:33:35PM +0530,:

 > If assignment is for reasonable consideration, it could evolve as a
 > viable  alternative to  the  Bazaar  Model, that  we  can call  the
 > Institutional Model.   Some essential  projects just won't  sell at
 > the  bazaar,  and  it   would  require  institutional  support  for
 > survival.

While I do not  speak for the FSF-I, I am not sure  that FSF-I is in a
position  to  provide  consideration   to  people  wishing  to  assign
copyright  over to it.  I do  not think  other FSF  organisations have
such a practise either.

 > Fredrick  Noronha  and many  have  been  suggesting micro-grants,  and
 > others  kinds of  fundings  for free  software  projects.  RMS  mooted
 > Software Tax. The free software code  base is public wealth, and it is
 > fair to  expect governments  to become the  major source of  funds and
 > grants, that could  be disbursed to deserving projects  through FSF or
 > other responsible  institutions through  the device of  assignments.

Certainly  yes. Even  otherwise, it  will be  a wise  idea  for people
working on  GNU software  to modify (for  internal use)  to contribute
back their modifications to the community.

 > anything from  Rs.  10 to Rs.100  crores, to start  with.  These

How can than be? When babus make the govt spend 1.4 K, they can take
a 10% `cut', which is much more these crumbs. ;---)

--
         Mahesh T. Pai    <<>>   http://paivakil.port5.com
``Those willing to give up a little liberty for a