[Fsf-friends] FSF and GNU, and other talks on Free Software

Ramanraj K ramanraj@vsnl.com
Sun Nov 28 05:41:51 IST 2004

Recently,  the ILUGC  organised a  demo  day for  IEEE [pronounced  as
I-triple-E] at the Central Lecture Theatre, IIT Madras.  Brief minutes
about the meet is available at:

http://www.chennailug.org/meeting/minutes/yr2004/ilugc-112004.html

My talk was on on "FSF and GNU", and the slides I used for the talk is
available   at:   http://personal.vsnl.com/ramanraj/FSF_and_GNU.tar.gz
[99K] The purpose of the  talk was to briefly introduce FSF and GNU to
an audience totally new to  free software. I should thank Bharathi for
organising the event,  giving the opportunity and for  choosing a nice
topic to talk about :)

Though I used  OO Impress for the talk, I have  converted the file for
use with MagicPoint, a  X11 based presentation tool.  The presentation
file  (FSF_and_GNU.mgp)  is just  a  text  file  which may  be  easily
modified  or improved.   MagicPoint  allows presentation  files to  be
created quickly with  a text editor, building with  tag directives for
embedding  graphics,  grabbing command  outputs  into  foils for  live
displays  during presentations etc.   After installing  MagicPoint, to
start the presentation give the command:

# mgp <file_name>

Official home page of MagicPoint is at: http://www.Mew.org/mgp/

Shakthi   Kannan,   gave  a   presentation   on  "GNU/Linux   Software
Applications  for Engineers  and Tech  Support" and  is  available for
download  from http://www.geocities.com/cyborg4k/ieee1104.tar.gz [1MB]
released   under   the  Creative   Commons-Attribution/Non-commercial/
Shared-Alike Version 2.0
License:http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

Sivasankar Chander also introduced Gnu/Linux to the audience, but I do
not have  the link to his slides.   In all, about 30  IEEE members, 70
IIT-M Students, and few others attended the demo day workshop.
__