[Fsf-friends] Learning to *use* free software

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip@lug-delhi.org
Thu Nov 25 23:04:55 IST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 19:47 +0530, Ramanraj K wrote:
> have to take what is being served on a plate and eat it.  The advocacy
> these days is more on merely *using* free software, that is much, much
> easier than  *developing* free software.  A government  that cares for
> the welfare of its people  would never ignore free software.  Probably

[...]

> I am  sure mere  representations to  the Govt. of  WB should  bring in
> desired changes, and PIL or other  action would only come last of all,
> if necessary at all.

Unfortunately, while there is considerable merit in reason why we need
to use Free software, mere representations might not suffice.

M$ is not merely selling software, it is selling solutions i.e. software
which serve a purpose. Some of their selling tactics could be a
reasonable demonstration of how their software helped solve the given
problem in the tender. And most importantly, how this software can be
installed, used to solved the given problem and supported by either them
(very unlikely) or their dealers.

In our case,  representation might not be enough. A demonstration could
be better, but again that doesn't help much. *Having* an organization
come up and say that "we will install, solve the problem and give you
support", is the answer.

After all, using Free Software is like the ultra-sensitive issue of
caste-based reservation. There is an important social objective behind a
policy of using Free Software. But unless the software actually goes
ahead and solves the problem (and not merely trumpet that it can change
the world and/or do anything), it will only hinder progress - in this
case, egovernance.

The babus might not articulate this question explicitly - but their
nagging doubts will always be "Ok. This is great software - technically
and socially. But are you going to come and install it for us? Are you
going to train our staff?Are you going to come and help us when we are
stuck? Oh? Try Linux vendors, you say? Why dont they come up and apply
in the tendering process then?". And we are back to the same problem.
Guess who works best in the selling/pitching/marketing games in
government tenders?

My point is - We need to encourage industry participation in the
evangelising process. Presentations should be made by not only LUG
people (who can articulate that Free software be given serious thought
and preference), but also actual industry people who will negotiate
contracts with the government. Regardless of how much you loath the
commercial world, you might actually have to help them come up with
convincing arguments/presentations to get the job done.

I believe any Linux evangelising is deficient unless it addresses three
points at the same time:

1. Advocacy - Technical and most importantly, philosophical reasons to
   use Free software.

   Reason: Without advocacy people use Free software for the wrong
   reasons (e.g. cost), and will move on when these reasons do not hold
   (e.g. [hypothetical] M$ coming up with a Windows version which cost
   Rs. 0, and charges Rs. 3000/year for updates.).

2. Industry support - People who can actually go ahead and help
   government and the rest of the industry use the software, working on
   a purely service model, of course, for a fee.

  Reason: You cant force everybody to be a geek. They need to get their
  work done. Regardless of how much they feel for the cause.

3. Interoperability - Be vigilant, take action and ensure that users of
   Free software are not discriminated. Scream at companies and
   governments which incorporate proprietary software, technology and
   data into their policies and processes. e.g. forms/applications in
   Word format, IE only websites, windows only hardware, windows only
   software etc.

   Reason: You cant make people give up everything and use Free
   software, and then shrug/rant when essential resources cannot be
   accessed. Keep making the world a better place while inviting
   people to it. :)

You miss out any one of the above, and you are only going to ensure that
people desert the field in a very short time, most of the time vowing
never to come back.

- Sandip