[Fsf-friends] Learning to *use* free software

Ramanraj K ramanraj@iqara.net
Thu Nov 25 19:47:56 IST 2004

 >Rakesh 'arky' Ambati wrote:

 >--- Sriharsha Vedurmudi
 ><sriharsha.v@redpinesignals.com> wrote:

 >Is this "Project Shiksha" (Shiksha -> Teachin) or
 >'Project Siksha' (Siksha -> Punishment)?

 >http://inhome.rediff.com/money/2004/nov/25ms.htm

 >So, M$ is now kicking off with a colourful Trojan
 >Horse.....

Generally, we cannot go by  such unofficial reports which may be false
or incorrect  based on  rumours.  We would  need to go  by information
from more  authoritative sources.  If  the MOU is  true, it is  a very
serious issue calling for swift action.  Regardless of whether the MOU
is true  or false, we need  to apprise the concerned  officials with a
few facts.

It has  taken a great deal  of effort, enthusiasm and  energy, of FSF,
RMS, Eric  Raymond, Linus  Torvalds, Alan Cox  and thousands  of other
developers, to create a totally free operating system, that is robust,
secure and  open.  After more than  two decades of hard  work, we just
have to take what is being served on a plate and eat it.  The advocacy
these days is more on merely *using* free software, that is much, much
easier than  *developing* free software.  A government  that cares for
the welfare of its people  would never ignore free software.  Probably
a memorandum could be addressed to the  Govt of WB to take note of the
free software movement, pointing to very fine examples from around the
world, particularly Brazil, the whole of Africa, and Europe.

The following report is particularly interesting:
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Africa-Becoming-Vast-Frontier-for-Free-and-Open-Software-38025.html

I am  sure mere  representations to  the Govt. of  WB should  bring in
desired changes, and PIL or other  action would only come last of all,
if necessary at all.

Regards,
Ramanraj.