[Fsf-friends] Why one more??????

Sandip Bhattacharya sandip@lug-delhi.org
Tue Nov 16 12:53:00 IST 2004

Anurag wrote:

> A new Live CD distro does not take that much effort to create...  We
> daily release 2 new versions of our own distro :-) .... A team of 4-5
> people can make a completely unique distro on their own in very less
> time... Here we can talk about freedom of choice rather re-inventing a
> wheel... Ubuntu in this has a better hardware detection routines i
> presume.

It is not just about effort required. It is about fragmenting the
i18nisation/localisation and usage base of the parent distributions. We
have a very small precious team and resources  - why not spend efforts for
localisation, and contribute other engineering efforts to the parent
distribution?

Personally, given a choice, I would rather have Debian/Fedora providing
full Indic support before any Indlinux live-cd/distro, etc. (Absolutely no
offense meant to your intentions).

If you have improvements in mind for Anaconda/Debian-installer, I would
rather prefer the patches being first sent upstream to these package
maintainers, and after integration with the trunk, these being used in the
Indian distribution.

The idea is for the world to work on a common code base(functionality +
i18nisation), diverging only when country specific work is required.

Seriously, there are too many *noppixes out there already. :)

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya    *    Puroga Technologies   *     sandip@puroga.com
Work: http://www.puroga.com        *         Home: http://www.sandipb.net

PGP/GPG Signature: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3