[Fsf-friends] Favourites from the world of FLOSS... a short-list

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 23:09:01 IST 2004

--- Anurag <anurag@hbcse.tifr.res.in> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:26:06 +0530, "Joe Steeve"
> <joe_steeve@gmx.net>
> said:
> > "Frederick Noronha (FN)" <fred@bytesforall.org>
> writes:
> > >    Best Distribution for Beginners
> > >      Linspire www.linspire.com
> >
> > Aint that a proprietary software?
>
> These now coming distros are just trying to make
> proprietary software
> work with free system. Xandros i heard also bundles
> bagful of non-free
> software. Xandros on its homepage says...
>
> [quote]
> The Deluxe Edition of Xandros Desktop version 2
> delivers everything
> found in the Standard Edition, plus the ability to
> run popular Windows
> productivity software, such as Microsoft Office,
> Windows plugin support
> to expand your Linux web browsing experience, the
> ability to install on
> a Windows XP machine,
> [/quote]

Bet there are loaded CrossOver in the distro,but
Xandro's is not the first one to do that.Quite a few
others like SuSe have done it before.Its always safe
to stick with GNU/Debian if you are concerned about
non-free commerial applications.
Cheers

--arky

=====