[Fsf-friends] Re: DotNet

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Fri Nov 5 07:18:05 IST 2004

Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:

  > Yes, I know Microsoft has had a really bad reputation behind them, and
  > it is highly unlikely that they  can ever get better other than with a
  > federal  axe. But  if we  are  careful enough  to watch  where we  are
  > treading in the dotNet swamp, cant we remain dry?

  > I would like to add some information about dotNet here, which I feel
  > should explain the background before people start hardening their views
  > about dotNet without understanding the real issues here.

The  non-free software  companies  have serious  differences with  our
philosophy, and we  will never get far with  their lip service.  These
look like a  series of serious attempts to use  up *our* very valuable
and  limited resources  to promote  non-free software  indirectly.  It
would be better  to settle these issues now, and the  only real way to
get  together  honestly  is   when  their  agreement  with  our  basic
philosophy of  software freedom becomes visible.   What follows below,
is only an elaboration of "Freedom  is the issue, the whole issue, and
the only issue"[1]

  > The bottomline is that, *in my opinion*,  there should not be any
  > problem in talking about C#, dotNet, Mono with regards to FSF sponsored
  > events, as long as the discussion/talks/workshops stick to:
  > 1. Mono
  > 2. standard class libraries
  > 3. Mono specific libraries like Gtk#, Gecko#, etc.
  > 4. XML class library from xml-rpc.net (MIT licence)
  >
  > What does NOT qualify:
  > 1. ASP.Net implementation - mono or whatever
  > 2. Windows forms - mono or whatever
  > 3. Any other proprietary/closed libraries - microsoft/mono whatever.
  > 4. VB#

Most unfortunately, it  is very difficult to draw  lines like you have
drawn when  an event is in progress  or in mailing lists.   A user may
raise genuine  questions about DotNet, and the  bonafide answers would
lie under what  you list as "what does NOT qualify",  and we will know
about it  only after  the discussion is  completed. Either we  allow a
full discussion or not allow it at all: that alone is workable.

The issue  needs to be carefully  stated, and understood  to avoid any
confusion. We will  go into DotNet a little  later. Now, Microsoft has
released  Windows   Services  For  Unix  3.5,  along   with  many  GNU
applications  under   the  GPL.    Many  of  these   applications  are
"optimised"  to work  with  SFU 3.5  The  source code  for many  GLPed
applications               is               available               at
http://www.interopsystems.com/tools/warehouse.htm  Could  we therefore
invite Microsoft to  speak on these GNU Project  tools, that have been
"optimised" for SFU 3.5?  We  should not, simply because all these are
specially meant  for non-free systems, and they  being "open standard"
or GPLed  does not matter at all.   It is simply not  relevant for us.
How would you check out if the "optimised" tools work well?  By trying
it  on a  non-free  Windows system.   Any  talk on  the  tools in  the
warehouse,  would sooner or  latter lead  to full  fledged discussions
about  non-free software,  that is  licensed in  the  most restrictive
manner.  Such discussions don't, won't and can't help us. DotNet is no
different.

Writing  applications that provide  for interoperability  is something
that is forced  on us.  Ideally, the authors  themselves may take care
to see  that the  tools they develop,  and any  output from it  can be
shared across different operating systems. Non-free software companies
especially  try to  make  interoperability as  difficult as  possible,
which is especially unfair and unethical.  The lack of source code and
information about architecture, makes interoperability very difficult.
A  suitable law  that clearly  compels non-free  software  to disclose
source code along with binaries  is required.  Monopolies are bad, and
any device  that helps monopolistion  should be handled  with suitable
legislation. [Mono?  sounds familiar??]

The  problem with  Microsoft like  non-free companies,  is  their very
serious disagreement with free software philosophy.

<quote>
One  reason  we wanted  to  sell  to  computer companies  rather  than
consumers was  software piracy.  We wanted  to get paid  for our work,
and  when companies bundled  our software  with their  computers, they
included our  royalty in the  price.... I wrote a  widely disseminated
"Open  Letter  to  Hobbyists"  asking  the  early  users  of  personal
computers to  stop stealing our software  so that we  could make money
that would let us build  more software.  "Nothing would please me more
than being  able to hire ten  programmers and deluge  the hobby market
with good  software", I wrote.   But my argument didn't  convince many
hobbyists to pay for our work.   They seemed to like it, and they used
it,  but  they seemed  to  prefer to  "borrow"  it  from each  other."
</quote>

That is Bill  Gates, in "The Road Ahead"  p.46.  Their EULAs implement
that basic philosophy with as many restrictions as possible, as one of
their predominant goals is making more money.  (The orginal reason was
that more money would let them  build more software, but it is for the
reader to  judge how far it has  turned true :) We  believe in sharing
and co-operation but they simply  don't agree there.  Now, their basic
philosophy has  not changed, and their  agents are more  hard on those
views.

The non-free  companies operate  through their agents,  including MSAs
and  others.  MSAs  can easily  join mailing  lists that  discuss free
software, as entry is free for  all.  Most of the MSA postings qualify
as spam but many user group  mailing lists are liberal and as MSAs are
students none may take this seriously and complain.

ILUGC  <www.chennailug.org> promotes Free  Software, here  in Chennai,
through Install  Festivals, Demo  Days, regular monthly  meets, active
mailing  list,  with support  from  serveral  IITians  and others  who
passionately enjoy using free  software.  ILUGC provides very valuable
support  to  free software  users.   All that  must  be  bad news  for
non-free software loving MSAs, and  I could share my little experience
with the issues involved here.

Some may be wondering what the MSAs post to mailing lists that discuss
free software!  Well, one friend at ilugc has archived the postings of
that MSA!! >> http://www.antrix.net/stuff/sriram.mbox.gz

A few samples:
http://www.aero.iitm.ernet.in/pipermail/ilugc/2004-April/009257.html
http://www.aero.iitm.ernet.in/pipermail/ilugc/2004-April/009228.html
http://www.aero.iitm.ernet.in/pipermail/ilugc/2004-April/009230.html
http://www.aero.iitm.ernet.in/pipermail/ilugc/2004-April/009326.html

[honestly calls himself an Evil  Microsoft Spy !  Please avoid wasting
time on  this, unless you  are a sysadmin:  there are many,  many long
posts and threads! ]

It takes time and effort to write replies, and sometimes I do that:
http://www.aero.iitm.ernet.in/pipermail/ilugc/2004-April/009307.html

Well the archives are peppered with MSA postings, usually thick around
the time  ILUGC plans  Install Fests and  Gnu/Linux Demo Day  meets at
various schools and  colleges in Chennai.  Since many  at ILUGC give a
good  amount  of  importance  for  free software  philosophy,  MSA  is
normally silenced.   Recently, the MSA  rants got too irksome  for me,
that I excused myself from the mailing list for some time.

The MSAs pose  the danger of both wasting  time and promoting non-free
software on the mailing lists, and  since they are paid for this dirty
work,  they brush  aside any  rebukes  and happily  continue with  the
rants.  If MSAs start posting to FSF India mailing lists, may be, firm
action could follow against their principal.

If they would  like to work with us, join us  whole heartedly, then it
should start with an affirmation and acceptance of our philosophy.  It
may call for more advocacy  and probably viable migration programs for
companies may help them to  genuinely join hands with us in developing
software. HTH.

-Ramanraj

[1] RMS, quoted from "Selling Free Software"
     http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html