[Fsf-friends] OFFTOPIC: Shoot, share and create -- looking beyond copyright and film

V. Sasi Kumar vsasi@hotpop.com
Tue Nov 2 13:22:02 IST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 10:41, Frederick Noronha (FN) wrote:
> Interesting example of Free Software ideas spreading to film. FN
>
> SHOOT, SHARE AND CREATE: WHY LOOKING BEYOND COPYRIGHT MAKES SENSE IN FILM

There was a film-maker in Kerala two decades ago whose organisation made
films collecting small amounts from the public and exhibited his films
free of cost to people all over the country. He had put a maximum on
what anyone can contribute (I think it was one rupee those days). His
name was John Abraham who made outstanding films like Agraharathil
Kazhuthai and Amma Ariyan. His organisation called Odessa had dissipated
after his death, but one person called Sathyan has revived it and is
producing documentaries. He have been kind enough to give his first film
on the Malayalam poet Ayyappan to us for free distribution (the web site
will soon be announced). His next film is on the naxalite Varghese who
was shot dead by the police.

--
V. Sasi Kumar <vsasi@hotpop.com>