[Fsf-friends] [OT]Has anyone tried using Knoppix 3.3 ?

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@hbcse.tifr.res.in
Sun May 9 12:43:23 IST 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 10:04, Rakesh 'arky' Ambati wrote:
> hi list,
>
> --- "Kenneth Wong <ken@apdip.net>"@apdip.net wrote:
> > Ramanraj K <ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in> wrote ..
> > > I just tried using Knoppix 3.3 that came with the
> > May issue of
> > > LinuxForYou.  Looks like good free software!
> >
> > Warning - not all of Knoppix is Free Software. Some
> > things like acrobat reader (4.0) aren't free
> > software.
> >
>   Yes,very true not all software the liveCD distro are
> free.But sometimes distro devlopers tend to add the
> very popular app's for the people who move over to
> GNU/Linux.
>
>   There are lot of other liveCD distro around.
> (see
> http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/print/0,23102,3680996,00.html)
>

>    In the last Gnu(s) Grazing meet held last sunday
> 2nd  of May in bangalore,one of the topic we discussed
> was about building a live Distro with  free
> software(of course) and all Indian languages.
>
>    It would a great tool for spreading free software
> here in india.Anyone interested in taking up such a
> project,perhaps someone from www.indlinux.org project.

We have made three versions of such CD based on Knoppix. one for
schools, one for college and one for office use, all of them support
Indian Languages.  We will keep them for download by the end of May.
the students who did the work are busy in finishinng their exams.  If we
have time we will remake the versions on Knoppix 3.4 and then release.
Any of you willing to give us feebdack and testing, please send your
emails and postal address to me, I will mail the CDs to you.

Nagarjuna