[Fsf-friends] Has anyone tried using Knoppix 3.3 ?

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@yahoo.com
Sat May 8 07:14:00 IST 2004

--- Ramanraj K <ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in> wrote:
> I just tried using Knoppix 3.3 that came with the
> May issue of
> LinuxForYou.  Looks like good free software!

 Indeed Knoppix shows the power of cramfs and
tmpfs.The first time I got Knoppix CD (again from the
first issue of LFY) was surprised to see how much s/w
a single CD of software was able to hold.

  Apart from the what knoppix usually offers,there are
other benefits,I'd like to mention them here.

 I __really___ needed to use Debian testing or
Unstable, it was not in my reach to install woody and
get packages off my dail-up connection.

  All I had to do was to do hdd-install and start
customizing.

  There were two problems I faced.

   1) The hdd-install needed >2GB to install. Do a
very tight install and get rid of KDEx to make space
to work.

   2)  The hdd-install interface was in dutch,later I
had change locale settings, and remove all I18n
packages.

--arky