[Fsf-friends] FREEDOM, PHILOSOPHY and FREEDOM SOFTWARE

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil@vsnl.net
Sat May 8 00:08:28 IST 2004

Tarun Gaur said on Fri, May 07, 2004 at 05:39:30PM +0000,:

 > I will give  you an example here ... Linux  happened and people saw
 > the potential and  RMS was able to push the  philosophy, first in a
 > very  minority community  writing some  "GOOD" software,  then they
 > were able  to promote their  philosophy because of their  work with
 > some GOOD Software and attain wider acceptance.

You got the  chronology wrong here. The GNU  project came first. Linus
released the kernel  under the GPL later. The  initial license on the
kernel was *not*  the GNU GPL.

 > The moment i tried to put his mail across to the list ... we had

Well, you did cc  to the list one of your mails  in what appears to be
part  of a  long,  private correspondence.  You  will appreciate  that
people do  not like reading  others' private mails, unless  the sender
asks that the mail be published or forwarded.

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,
  Ernakulam, Cochin-682018,