[Fsf-friends] Re: FREE SOFTWARE THAT IS GOOD ...

Harish Narayanan harish@gamebox.net
Fri May 7 12:03:03 IST 2004

No, I don't think I was missing anything. I was waiting for this sort of
response before I elaborated on parts of what I'd said earlier.

I didn't say at any point the masses do not matter. We're differing on
how (and actually even why) this mass has to be built. You're saying
there are areas where people aren't entirely comfortable with free
software (currently not easy enough, say) so they need to be improved
(by the end user point of view) before everyone will all mass adopt and
hence the philosophy will spread. All I tried to point out is, by doing
this, you will gain your masses. But all you are spreading is adoption
of the software, nothing more.

I tried to say the software (for the most part) exists right now. And
has existed for a while. A primary reason they aren't as wide spread are
because of societal inertia, and because people aren't necessarily aware
of the freedom they are giving up in using non-free software.

Random anecdote. I am typing this on a laptop from a prominent
manufacturer which comes pre-installed with a popular non-free operating
system. The first thing I tried to do when I bought it, is to return the
operating system install discs and request a refund. I was informed that
is not possible, as:

 a. I'd lose support if I formatted and installed another operating system.
 b. It is expensive for them to come and collect the discs (or have them
pay me mail it in).
 c. They are required by contract to pay the operating system vendor a
fee anyway, so they pass on the charges to me. They aren't interested in
bearing the loss on my behalf.

Now, the ideal part of me directs me, on principle, to delete it anyway
and install a free operating system. But a practical part informs me
that 70$ (or whatever) of my hard earned money has gone into the
pre-installed operating system. It keeps nagging me to keep this
partition because it's convinced me "if I've spent for it, I cannot
waste it".

Do I want it installed? No.
Do I need it installed? Not really.
Am I one of the 210 million who paid for it anyway? Yes.
Did I have much of a choice? Yes and no.
I could have tried really hard to find a company that sells a comparable
machine without the popular operating system installed. But there are
very few moderately big names that exist considering this operating
system vendor has abused its power as a monopoly to force all major
manufacturers to bundle it with their machines.

You did not say they don't value freedom. I said they've been
conditioned to accept things the way they are. You didn't say they were
unintelligent or don't understand. You did say it has to be "easy to
achieve a desired set of functional tasks with minimum focus on
technicalities" as a prerequisite to software's adoption. Now with that
definition, and my lack of enthusiasm to try too hard, I will be quite
happy with the original operating system my computer came with. Sure, it
has some bugs and viruses hit often, but I can still get some things
done. It's "good enough" on the surface.

At this point you're saying "give him a much better alternative, and
he'll switch". I'm saying, "explain to him there is a decent free
alternative, and the value of that freedom, and he'll switch". But the
important difference here is someone who switched because I explained to
them why, is much less likely to switch back when something even better
is offered by the proprietary OS vendor.

I don't get your argument involving companies like RedHat. RedHat is a
major supporter of many free software projects, and doesn't ship
anything proprietary with their operating systems. They break even the
most commonly used functionality like playing mp3s, to retain a fully
free collection of software in their distributions. I respect them for
this, and it has resulted in me re-encoding many CDs to other free
formats. By your definition of good, I should have just installed a 3rd
party XMMS plug in, say, and restored this functionality. It would have
been "easier with less technicalities", right?

All I am attempting to say is, now that I've shifted with the right
mindset, once mp5pro++ comes out, which is 10 times as small as Ogg
Vorbis 3, and sounds 100 times better, I will not consider it. If I
shifted purely because Vorbis sounded better, or I whined to the
developers about making it technically better (and easier to use), or
coded it myself and only advertised that it was technically better (and
easier to use), I will be tempted to re-encode all my discs again in
mp5pro++ is launched, eXtremeDRM+++ or not.

The mass that you gained when you first introduced them to the glory of
the free alternative on the basis of its ease of use, will begin to fade
away.

Of course, the technical community is a minuscule of the population. And
this is just software. There are billions who probably won't even be
affected in their lifetime in the least by any of this "free/non-free"
nonsense with respect to something like computer code when their own
villages don't have electricity or something. But every sort of social
change needs some starts. This is a small one.

Harish | http://wahgnube.org/