[Fsf-friends] FREE SOFTWARE THAT IS GOOD ...

Tarun Gaur gaur_tarun@hotmail.com
Fri May 7 14:15:31 IST 2004

Hi harish,

You are missing the point here again. It is not the words that matter.

I, like you also believe that software has to be free but i strongly contest
the fact that people who do not embrace it dont matter to us. They do matter
and we have to make them understand why FREEDOM, FREE software and FREE GOOD
SOFTWARE (is important). Just because we believe in freedom does not mean
that we do not listen to what they have to say.

Now, Please read my previous note again and tell me where i have said that
end user is unintelligent, does not understand or does not value freedom

The very fact that he is intelligent is an indication enough for us to
convince him rather than show "I dont care, they will learn by themselves"
attitude.

We need to educate - rather make them aware; of our philosophy and i am sure
each one of them feels as strongly for Freedom as you and I do.

Sometimes as an analyst you have to keep yourself away from your own beliefs
and philosophies and try and compare and criticize what you think might not
be correct ...

And here what i feel is that we need to value the opinion of " Intelligent
end users" and be our own ciritics at every point as that would help us plug
the holes and evolve.

You took the discussion to "Intellectual Property Rights" and Free Software
and morals and ethics of it. I think we all ... we all understand freedom,
FSF and Free software very well.

As per me the entire IT community put togather is not more than 2% of the
world's population. We need to come out of the technical closet and think
about the rest 98% of the world and how we can make them adopt our
philosophy and software.

And trust me for that, we dont have a choice ... WE HAVE TO BE GOOD and we
are good, then why not be supportive rather than being dismissive to the
"Intelligent End Users".

I can also say ... I like Free Software because .... Reason 1 ...... to
Reason 100. But i dont because i am more concerned and focussed to see that
Free Software Philosophy penetrates to the masses. Once it does, you will
see it everywhere.

I again highlight; whenever we see someone saying that I have a problem with
Free Software ... rather than shooting the guns at him, ask him if we could
help restore his faith and then go and help him. This is in the best
interest of our philosophy, cause philosophies are duds without followers.

Remember, It is not you and me that decides what is good ... it is the
majority and the facts.

We are good, brilliant people ... we write amazing codes ... we just need to
make them a bit more simple. We are doing it slowly but surely.

I am not contesting here on Freedom or good or bad. I am contesting that we
cant ignore 210 million people and more. We need to make them understand,
enlighten them, educate them and we cant do this by shooing them away.

In the proprietry world, companies like IBM, RED HAT and numberless others
used Free Software Fundamentals to manouvere against Microsoft and another
entry is Novell. Now these companies are also people and look at how others
and Red Hat moved to take a big market share, riding on open source. What
are we doing sitting and allowing them to manouvere and criticizing people
cause they say that free software evangelists are deaf if not dumb.

Its a simple thing friends, entertain criticizm, consult, discuss and do
something about it; even if it means contesting RMS opinion. He sure started
it but its freedom what it is all about .. right?

Bottomline, BECOME A MASS MAJORITY RATHER THAN PHILOSOPHICAL MINORITY.

hail FSF,
tarun