[Fsf-friends] Freedom matters - So does good software !!

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@hbcse.tifr.res.in
Wed May 5 17:45:30 IST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 16:23, Tarun Gaur wrote:
> Hi Anurag,
>
> I totally agree with you that free software can be made easy to use. I am
> infact not in favor of writing any software that is a nightmare to work
> with. That is the reason i initiated this debate by forwarding a mail from
> an end user to the list.
>
> Does RMS ever say that Free software should not be designed to be easy to
> use? i doubt.
>
> Infact we all know that Freedom matters, Free Free Free ... Lets get over
> with the basics and get our heads down to write good FREE software. We have
> the Freedom and we promote it too.
> .. And the world has heard us loud and clear.

1. Freedom matters
2. Freedom Software matters
3. Good Freedom Software matters

So, let us make good freedom software.

While the above argument looks obvious, in the proposition 3. `Good' is
difficult to define.  Otherwise there is no problem.

Would you like to attempt to define or provide parameters for a good
software, let us begin a new thread.

PS: The subject "Freedom matters - So does good software !!" may
mislead.  Good Software like Adobe Acrobat Reader doesn't matter for me,
if its doesnt provide freedom.  So what is good without freedom?

Nagarjuna