[Fsf-friends] Queries about FLOSS...

Frederick Noronha (FN) fred@bytesforall.org
Mon Mar 29 13:24:34 IST 2004

Could anyone offer some inputs to these queries below, from Mayur of E&TC,=
=20
Pune?=20

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, mayur m wrote:

> Hello Mr. Fredrick Noronha
>                                   I am an engineering
> student of e&tc branch from pune writing u this
> letter....
> I am greatly interested
> in opensource and free software.=20
> i would like to make a career in open source but i
> have some doubts which i think u can clear:
>=20
> 1) There are so many versions of linux so how do the
> common people come to know what is best for them.
> 2)in linux community is there someone controls the
> development and expansion of the open source free
> software(someone who is the pathfinder).if there isn=92t
> anyone don=92t u think ultimately there will be
> fragmentation of linux like it happened in the past
> with Unix.
> Secondly why is there no democratic body at the core
> which oversees development of software in open source
> arena I am talking especially about linux
> development.A democratic body if formed would not only
> help development of software and oversee it but at the
> same time convenience people that linux is not going
> to get fragmented like Unix did and rise confidence in
> minds of the common user about linux and open source
> which could further be strengthened by the
> participation of linux user groups.
>=20
> 3)The companies supporting free software&open source
> are supporting with what motives is quite
> questionable. .Is it to bring down a monopoly or make
> their own (this refers to the current battle between
> big blue & Redmond giant.and the takeover of SUSE
> Linux by IBM and NOVELL)
>=20
> 4)After the SCO case I think developers who develop
> open source software and especially linux must come
> together ,sit and decide that further such an event
> does not happen.(it may not affect linux and open
> source community but it does drive out companies who
> are ready to embrace linux by bringing suspicion in
> their minds.)
>=20
> 5) Why is everyone trying to make a new package
> (distribution) of linux by adding or deleting some
> applications and some core requirements .Do people
> need more distributions of linux or applications. The
> same goes with applications. How many music players is
> a person supposed to install on his pc.then why
> develop so many players instead come togethar and
> develop a music player which is absolutely mind
> boggling in terms of features. Wouldn=92t this be more
> preffered?
> What do you think please do tell me ur remarks and do
> correct me if my line of thinking was wrong somewhere.
> I would like to have a word from u please do send me a
> mail.
>=20
>=20
> Yours faithfully;
> Mayur
> (Opensourcelover@yahoo.com)
>=20
> [...]

--=20
     March 2004         | Frederick Noronha, Freelance Journalist
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa    | Goa India 0091.832.2409490 or 2409783
 7  8  9 10 11 12 13    | Email fred at bytesforall.org
14 15 16 17 18 19 20    | Writing with a difference=09 =20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27    | ... on what makes *the* difference
28 29 30 31             | http://www.bytesforall.org