[Fsf-friends] GPL-Virus Or Vaccine

Raj Shekhar rajshekhar@hotpop.com
Tue Jun 8 09:51:07 IST 2004

Mahesh T. Pai wrote:
> Raj Shekhar said on Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:05:36AM +0530,:
>
>  > I have put  an article on the Linux India  Wiki called GPL-Virus Or
>  > Vaccine                                                            .
>  > http://lug-bhopal.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/GPL-VirusOrVaccine
>
> Raj, first things first.
>
> The license at the bottom  does not allow modification - something not
> in tune with  spirit of the wiki. Unless you  change that license into
> something like  the GNU FDL, _I_ am  not going to edit  the page. (Not
> that I am  against verbatim licenses, I do use them;  my point is only
> that verbatim licenses are inappropriate for wiki pages.

I have changed it. It now reads "This article is available under the
terms of the GNU Free Documentation License". The Linux India Wiki does
not specify the copyright of the articles published on it. Hence I put
it in. You are correct, I should not have used the earlier notice.

> A good way  of phrasing this would  to say ``Why GPL'', and  add a sub
> section titled `Is the GPL viral'? And a good way of going about it is
> to start with  defining the term `viral'.

This suggestion is really good. I should have thought about it. However,
I will not be able to put in the changes today as I am suffering from a
terrible backache (from bad sitting posture I guess :-( ).

Thanks for the suggestions

Regards
--
    / \__