[Fsf-friends] Kerala and free soft

Rakesh 'arky' Ambati rakesh_ambati@yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 23:18:57 IST 2004

Hello Krishna,

--- Krishna Pagadala <krishnaact@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Arun,
>
> > Kerala is now seeing strong debate on local body
> > computerisation and free software.
>
> Somebody in the current government made some
> statements on free software when he was in
> opposition,
> is it of any help now?
>
> > Government is planning for a state wide rollout
> > of Rs 150 crore e-gov program on M$ platform.
> > We have to stop this.
>
> There are some people http://www.egovernments.org/
> in bangalore who are doing some work on
> egovernments,
> unfortunately they dont understand the philosophy of
> Free Software, but do understand the "open source
> model".
> I had an email converstation with Srikanth
> Nadhamuni
> - the managing trustee of the eGovernments
> Foundation
> - a long time ago. Initially they thought of
> releasing
> all software as GPL, but have now decided  not to do
> it, because of "security concerns".

 Unfortunately, even the most of NGO and social
welfare works are done with clocked intentions.

What I fail to understand is the best of minds working
with eGovernments don't see what 'GPL' is all about?

http://www.egovernments.org/aboutus.htm

I dare to ask !!!

 Are the managing trustee(s) using the
egovernments.org to project their commerial
establishments.

cheers

--arky

Now they are
> trying to roll out their software free of cost to
> various local bodies.
> Maybe FSFI should engage with them.
>
> Thanks
> Krishna