[Fsf-friends] spreading the message of the GNU across our schools

Raghavendra Bhat ragul@vsnl.com
Mon Jul 26 09:19:07 IST 2004

Hello List

Recently I had the good fortune to talk to a batch of students about GNU
software.  These students were approached when I went to Bangalore.
They never knew about the GNU and its ideals.  I have asked them to
track http://www.gnu.org/ and start their own small GNU User groups
within their schools/colleges.

They were seen as saying that it is their teachers who were resisting
their move towards free software.  They were saying that they require a
syllabus which is totally free.  They even commented on the half-baked
approach of introducing software freedom in Kerala schools.  One college
student was seen saying as to how one of their HoD's was resisting the
inclusion of the philosophy of the GNU Project in one of their text book
syllabi, saying that it had no technical relevance.

They were encouraged to fully adhere to the GNU move in computing.  They
were asked to demand the inclusion of free software.  They have
requested speakers who are very articulate and savvy.  I have suggested
some names.

It is always fruitful to educate these computing GNUbies than to lobby
most of the Govt. officials.  So to be better late than never; it has
become very clear that many of us go out and spread the message of
software freedom.  Instead of gathering together at one place to
celebrate "Free Software Day", it is appropriate that we spread out and
silently do our work.

I am going to Nashik and then  to Ranchi to talk to the students.  Where
are you guys going tomorrow??

--
ragOO
When software is free it is GNU