[Fsf-friends] Free Software Freedom

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Sat Jul 24 11:19:27 IST 2004

   Rakesh 'arky' Ambati wrote:

 >I feel part of the mistake lies with us,its our
 >duty to correctly project the differences between OSI
 >and Free Software to public.

Major decisions are being taken by Governments all over the world, to
voluntarily adopt using free and open standards and software.  This is a
spectacular success for RMS, the GNU Project and the Free Software
Foundation.

There is a minor hurdle in our path that has to be cleared.

The plain issue is that "Free Software" and "Open Source" are generic
terms, which are associated with and promoted by FSF and OSI
respectively.  The use and association of very appropriate generic terms
with incorporated bodies, has been the root cause for much distension.
  It has become a political issue, and adoption of either terminology is
viewed as a success or defeat by opposite camps, and those who wish to
maintain neutrality invent new expressions that only cause more
confusion.  A practical way out of this situation needs to be seriously
explored.

SQL initially stood for "Structured Query Language", but soon SQL grew
and expanded beyond the scope of a query language, and today, "SQL"
simply means "SQL".  Many large organisations, after a period of time,
are better known by their abbreviated names and Free Software Foundation
is no exception: it widely well known by the name FSF.  If the
organisation is legally known only as FSF Inc, then the branding or
association of the generic expression "free software" exclusively with
FSF and the GNU project could be avoided.  It would become easier to use
the expression "free software" to mean the whole gamut of software
released under the GPL or like free licenses.  Freedom to the expression
"Free Software" will enable its assimilation into law with great ease.

The sacrifices done by RMS and FSF through the GNU Project are immense
and immeasurable, and it would be painful to ask for anything more, but
this could strengthen the roots of the free software movement and so
please share your thoughts on this.

Regards,
Ramanraj.