[Fsf-friends] FSF meeting

V. Sasi Kumar vsasi@hotpop.com
Thu Jul 22 16:42:42 IST 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 17:16, Shashikiran Ganesh wrote:

> Looking forward to reading the report on the meeting.  Maybe next year we could plan something along similar lines here at Ahmedabad.  I came to know of this list only recently.

Here is a brief report. There may be gaps in it. I hope others who were
there, like Arun, Arky, Satish Babu and Anand Babu would fill in.

Although we had planned for a full day programme, an government function
came and we had to confine ourselves to the afternoon. We set up the
exhibition of posters and some cartoons on IT by the renowned architect
Laurie Baker (as suggested by and kindly provided by Sri Sundar and his
wife Girija) by about 2:30 or so. A number of people were already there
waiting to see the displays and for the discussion on Copyright Laws and
Society to start. Keltron set up a few computers showing, among other
things, Malayalam GNU/Linux. C-DIT had one computer showing their
products like Web Darshini and CESS put up their software under
development for querying a Panchayat-level database.

By about 4 pm, a number of students and others came and we needed
something running to keep them occupied. Anand Babu came up with a
presentation on his work on Thunder, which kept the audience in their
seats until the public programme started. The VIPs were there by about
5:15 pm and we started the programme immediately. Sri Satish Babu
welcomed the gathering, giving a very brief outline of how FSF-India
started. Sri Ramkumar, MD, Keltron, inaugurated the programme. Arun then
gave a short description of the activities of FSF-I during the last
three years. He touched upon the development work undertaken and ended
with the initiative to bring the Creative Commons movement to Kerala.

The discussion on Copyright Laws and Society was started with some
introductory remarks by the Chairman Dr. M.N.V. Nair, former Dean, IIM,
Bangalore. He spoke about the economic advantages of not having
copyright laws in a developing country (since we import much more than
we export), the difficulties caused by product patents and so on. He
also pointed out that people have been writing books, making paintings
and creating music basically because of their strong creative urge and
not because of any economic motive. Then Anand Babu talked about the
Playfair affair, and how he got involved. Prof. R.V.G. Menon, a social
activist and Editor of Sasthragathi (monthly popular science magazine of
the Kerala Sasthra Sahitya Parishad) gave a very nice account of how
copyright laws are holding society back.

The next event was the handing over of some creative works by different
people under a Creative Commons licence. I gave a very brief description
of the Creative Commons movement and why we wanted to bring it to India
and Kerala. Sri Sundar then handed over a number of articles he had
published in Malayalam magazines on Laurie Baker, the late child prodigy
Thomas Clint, author Aubrey Menen (whose book 'A Space within the Heart'
he has translated into Malayalam) and a number of other topics. Two
cassettes of Carnatic Music produced by Sri R. Krishnaswamy (who
conducted the programme called 'Carnatic Music lessons' in All India
Radio for over thirty years) and sung by himself and others was handed
over by his son Sri K. Jayaram. Anand Babu received the material on
behalf of FSF-I. The short film 'The Journey thus far' (ithrayum
yathabhagom in Malayalam) on the poet A. Ayyappan, produced by Odessa
and directed by Sri Sathyan was scheduled to be released along with
these, but the CD did not reach us in time. However, this was announced
at the function. We hope to receive another film produced by Odessa
years back and directed by the eccentric genius John Abraham by
collecting small amounts like Rs. 10 from individuals and shown free of
charge all over the country. Since the old group is now scattered and
out of touch with each other, it takes time to get the required
permission from everyone.

Smt Sushila Titus, GM of IT Division of Keltron delivered the vote of
thanks.

I guess a few CDs and books were sold. Arun should be able to give an
account of that.

The meeting succeeded in bringing a number of Free Software supporters,
activists and programmers together, and there was excitement in the air.
I guess we should plan more such events here and in other places.

--
V. Sasi Kumar <vsasi@hotpop.com>