[Fsf-friends] Help On Dot Matrix Printing

Raman.P raamanp@yahoo.co.in
Fri Jul 16 05:00:57 IST 2004

--- swathantra software <s2s2@linux.net> wrote: >
> Hello,
>
>    Could anyone please help us in getting dot matrix printer
> working in Openoffice?.
> Kannur district administration is getting migrated to GNU/Linux and
> as part of it few section has got GNU/Linux Redhat 9 installed. All
> sections has got dot matrix printer Model WIPRO HQ 1040+( 24 pin).
> Using printtool in RH9,  local printer is configured using driver
> epson LQ1050 ( "omni" driver)( we do not know
> what is the compatible driver in Linux for this Model, so tried
> epson LQ1050). A test print from printool worked just fine. But in
> OpenOffice we can not get any printout. When we tried the driver
> epson "dot matrix" ( driver "epsonc")
> OpenOffice did print, but the quality was very poor and print is
> not clear. The printer works just fine in Windows.
> Could anyone please  help us to fix the problem.?.
>
>  Apreciating your help
>

> Regards
>
> Sujeevan
> S2S2,Kannur

Dotmatrix printers work fine on OO, if you let cups do the printing.

Define your printers in cups first (if you are using lprng please
change to cups).

Use spadmin under OO to configure printer. Simply choose a name. Do
not select any driver, instead under command give

lp -d cups-printer-name

This works fine for me. Remote printers can also be configure
likewise.

cups has separate drivers for 9pin and 24pin epson printers.

Raman.P