[Fsf-friends] Re: [Fsf-discuss] What should friends of FSF India do?

Arun M arun.m@myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 29 13:28:09 IST 2004

>   Making all software free means educating the public
> about the problems with copyright laws. And therfore
> an awakened public might get the laws changed.
>   Having sharing of knowledge in all branches of
> knowledge means that we have to expand the process of
> educating the public beyond software and talk about
> the harm done by building walls around knowledge.

FSF India's focus is on free software. But we are also concerned abt
restrictions on the sharing of knowledge. So we talk abt that also when
ever possible.

>   However I see a narrowing of thought when it comes
> to vision, "FSF India will strive to ensure that free
> software is... viable alternative to proprietary
> software"

Yes, fsf is working for free software. We cant take up all issues, but
willing to work with other to raise other issues like freedom of
knowledge.

>   I see this narrowing on both the lists. The only
> person consistently saying that all software should be
> free software is RMS.

Sorry wrong. there are many.

>   For the above reason, I think that not only should
> we be talking about why free software is better, but
> also talk and reason about why *all* software should
> be free.
>   Any comments? Is my reasoning flawed in any aspect?

You are right, we in free software movement should talk about why 'all'
software should be free. We talk abt why free software is better, not in
technical aspects but socially. Why free software is better for society.

regards,
arun.