[Fsf-friends] Reports on FSF-India activities

Annamalai Gurusami annamalai.gurusami@email.masconit.com
Tue Jan 27 15:59:04 IST 2004

Ramanraj K <ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in> writes:

> But, the last paragraph needs a reply:
>
> <quote>
> However, he [Martin Fink] adds that while open software may provide
> solutions in the enterprise sector, the Linux desktop is ≈ unlike
> Windows ≈ not mature and adds that it is ``an area where hype is
> ahead of reality by orders of magnitude''.
> </quote>

But Linus himself has stated very recently (at Australia) that "while
Linux is well deep into the server space and market, the home desktop
will take 5 to 10 years to be equally competitive with other
solutions."

[since I was quoting I couldn't change that to GNU/Linux]

http://tinyurl.com/37fnk

When Linus tells "normal users" I guess he is having people like my
brothers and sister (doctors) in mind.

Rgds,
anna

--

Time-stamp: <2004-01-27 09:41:59 annamalai.gurusami>

Blender, the open source software for 3D modeling, animation,
rendering, post-production, interactive creation and
playback. Available for Windows, Linux, Irix, Sun Solaris, FreeBSD or
Mac OS X.

                  http://www.blender.org