[Fsf-friends] GNU Manifesto Question

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Mon Jan 26 18:58:37 IST 2004

Vijay Kumar wrote:

>We(the GNU/Linux User Group of Trichy) are working on the Tamil Translation of
>the GNU Manifesto. It is almost complete. But we have a few problems...
>
>RMS writes:
>------------------- Manifesto Begins ----------------------------------
>     "We need the programmers desperately.  If they demand that we stop
>     helping our neighbors, we have to obey."
>
>   You're never so desperate that you have to obey this sort of demand.
>Remember: millions for defense, but not a cent for tribute!
>------------------- Manifesto Ends -------------------------------------
>
>What is the meaning of "millions for defense, but not a cent for tribute!"? We
>do not understand it to the point of being able to translate it to tamil.
>Can somebody tell us the meaning of this line?
>
>Vijay

The expression appears to have a history dating back to 1800:
http://www.evote.com/features/2001-09/091801barbarywar.asp

<quote>
Faced with a choice between the exorbitant costs of tribute and having
U.S. interests in the Mediterranean attacked by pirates, President
Thomas Jefferson dispatched U.S. naval vessels to the region.
</quote>

I guess, similarly, we should defend free software even though it may
cost us millions/crores, but not a cent/paise to proprietary software
that demand licence fees which is as bad as demanding tribute [here
tribute has the same meaning as kappam in Tamil]

I suggest this translation:
ninaivirukkattum:  kappam kattuvathu vida sudandirathukku poriduvathu mel

Instead of poriduvathu mel, padupaduvathu mel could also be used.