[Fsf-friends] Attack on GNU/Linux

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil@vsnl.net
Fri Jan 16 11:42:13 IST 2004

Rajkumar S said on Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 09:49:19AM +0530,:

 > The  hypocrisy element  comes when  he  advocates the  use of  free
 > software (snip) ...  and uses another OS in his laptop.

But then, the laptop was supplied by the Government, is it not?

And do  not govt. tenders  calling for digital hardware  almost always
read  `Tender for  supply  of personal  computers  with Genuine  I***l
processor at XbambaHz with W*****s ?? preinstalled', ??? MB Ram and ??
GB hard disk'.

How do we tackle these kinds of tener notices?

Ramanraj? Any inputs from you?  Any idea how the industry will respond
when a  public institution  invites tenders for  `35MM tor  steel from
TISCO?? Or `supply of N thousand V******n Televisions'?

Any businessess on  this list who want to rspond  to such tenders with
Free software preinstalled on another processor??

 > As far as RH CEO is concerned, he is talking in line with his company
 > objectives, they are hardly in Desktop market :)

It is a good thing RH ceo said that*. Now, desktop users who purchased
s/w from RH can buy support from other vendors. *That* is what we call
*freedom*.

We can point this out next time some one seeks to counter pro free
software moves with the RH ceo's statement.

(*) I am not very sure. Did he really *mean* that? I remember that
statement was clarified later on? Anyways, KDE and GNOME are far more
usable on my box than the various boxen I have used at my Department
and net kiosks.

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,