[Fsf-friends] Freedom is not the same as freaking

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Fri Jan 16 10:48:16 IST 2004

Raghavendra Bhat wrote:

>We should  instead write  to the
>Editor of `Malayala Manorama' thanking him ...

The media reaches out to millions of people every day, and if they could
present facts, as they are, to the public, it would be a great boon and
benefit to all concerned.  Presenting the free software movement in
correct light will increase use of free software, and possibly attract
better talents towards the movement.

The Financial Express, which is part of the Indian Express group appears
to have published
http://fecolumnists.expressindia.com/full_column.php?content_id=22247 an
article some time back, using the word Dick to refer to the founder of
the Free Software Movement which is  inappropriate.  While the press has
freedom to report using language it thinks fit, it does not extend to
freaking on important news or publishing crude articles.  Of course, we
could ignore such news items as not worth our attention or time, but the
press does reach out to the public at large, and therefore, some concern
needs to be shown when such issues crop up.

Indian Express web site uses PHP which is compiled ideally with gcc and
make. Indian Express uses free software not because it is free or cheap,
or because Indian Express is poor, but because it is robust and
reliable.  We can highlight the practical value of free software and its
philosophy, so that the media is more serious in its research and
reporting of news connected with free software movement.

As Raghavendra Bhat and Anil wrote, we should make it a point to
appreciate factual coverage by the press, and quickly respond to any
news that freaks on free software.