[Fsf-friends] Selling well and freedom

Ramanraj K ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in
Thu Jan 15 08:03:08 IST 2004

Senthil_OR@Dell.com wrote:

>Well thank you such an exciting link. but it certainly was not an answer
>to the news reported.

The propaganda by Microsoft that it is competing with Linux is
meaningless because experts and mature users consider Microsoft  a toy
for 3 year olds.  Even if Windows is eventually released as free
software, we may not touch it for many reasons including those shared in
the link.  FSF originated to break free the restrictions imposed by
proprietary software.  FreeBSD was born out of the battle with AT&T,
releasing TCP/IP as one of the first major free idea for wide public
use.  Atleast, that was a clash between giants.  Selling toys well is
very different from designing and releasing robust code as free software.

>I just happened to come across this as well.
>http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=3196&t=innovation
>+'s of M$

The experts at Harvard say: "The essence of our argument is that the key
to Microsoft's success is the way it manages its intellectual property."

Recently at ILUGC, fork bombs were discussed.  The solution given by
Suraj suggested setting the ulimit -u value to make the fb harmless.
 Many including me asked what is a reasonable setting for ulimit -u.
 Suraj posted the answer as 150.  Now, imagine holding back the answer
and saying "I could give you the reasonable int value for the setting if
you pay me and agree not to disclose the answer to anyone else".  A
single integer value could be sold in the market by managing
intellectual property.    It takes a big heart to give away tons of high
quality code that can be used by anyone with freedom.  India have given
away the number system for free.  Imagine people having to pay for the
use of zero or the number system.  The freedom to use intellectual
property is important for progress, and any fetters on it would be
counter productive and will only pamper the greed of a few individuals
at the cost of the majority.

Again, the interview discusses this:

*<quote>
Q: *Microsoft was originally late in its embrace of the Internet....

*A: *In any industry subject to rapid technological change, a firm faces
two big challenges. The first is in /recognizing/ the threats (and
opportunities) presented by newly emerging technologies. The second is
in mounting an effective /response/ to these threats. Microsoft appears
to have solved these problems, giving it the ability to quickly adapt to
changing circumstances. The way they have tackled each however, differs
in nature.

</quote>

The internet is possible because TCP/IP was freely released as NetBSD.
 The experts seem to have great difficulty in even giving due credit to
the achievements of free software, and only view it as a threat to
proprietary companies.  Imagine those who were using Roman numerals
only, considering the Indian number system a threat, and then learning
to use zero and saying they have effectively responded to the threat.
 It is impossible to convert the Roman number system to provide
functionality possible with the Indian number system.  The same
difficulty exists in Windows.

But, let us take the case of others who have some real and tangible
intellectual property.  Now, how to convince those who sell intellectual
property of some real value to move towards the path of freedom?