[Fsf-friends] Memorandum to CSIR

Raj Mathur raju@linux-delhi.org
Tue Jan 13 08:11:40 IST 2004

Apologies for jumping in late... was busy with something I'd never
seen before in my life, and now I wish I'd never seen it at all: Work!

    Manilal> ----- Original Message ----- From: eiidp
    Manilal> <eiidp@md3.vsnl.net.in> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:22:02
    Manilal> +0530 To: "V. Sasi Kumar" <vsasi@vsnl.com>,Ramanraj K
    Manilal> <ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in> Subject: Re: [Fsf-friends]
    Manilal> Memorandum to CSIR

    >> There should be a two fold strategy. Apart from a memorandum to
    >> top of the official hierarchy, we have to empower the lower
    >> strata of scientific institutions in the use of swathanthra
    >> software.

    Manilal> The two fold strategy is a good idea. I have some
    Manilal> experience with SEPSIT at Kannur. During this period we
    Manilal> found that many govt. teachers were interested in
    Manilal> GNU/Linux and we had given training to them. We had
    Manilal> conducted some training to govt teachers initially. To
    Manilal> our surprise many Management Schools came forward to use
    Manilal> GNU/Linux. Many of the schools(both govt and mgmt)
    Manilal> decided to use only GNU/Linux as the OS.  But the
    Manilal> disappointing factor is that schools at
    Manilal> Thiruvananthapuram and nearby districts are not
    Manilal> interested in this matter. I think the main reason behind
    Manilal> this is the lack of media coverage about "Swathantra
    Manilal> Software". Actually in Kannur we got excellent backup
    Manilal> from the Media and the local political leadership.  So
    Manilal> the idea and advantages of "Swathanthra Software" should
    Manilal> be primarily conveyed to the local scientific
    Manilal> organizations which will eventually spread those ideas.
    Manilal> About the memorandum to the President and PM, I think
    Manilal> that one of us should prepare the draft and after
    Manilal> verification and corrections, the signatures can be
    Manilal> collected on an organization basis. Orgs such as SEPSIT,
    Manilal> S2S2, CDIT, OSS, ATPS, FSF etc.. can take initiative in
    Manilal> collecting signatures. Those who are members of other
    Manilal> Mailing list may post this matter also.

I'd written a template letter for trying to dissuade state governments
from using MS for e-Governance a couple of years ago.  It's available
at the Sarai Reader-List archive
(http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/2001-August/000319.html);
please use whatever portion that makes sense in this context.

Regards,

- -- Raju
- --
Raj Mathur                raju@kandalaya.org      http://kandalaya.org/