[Fsf-friends] Memorandum to CSIR

Manilal K M manilal@linuxmail.org
Mon Jan 12 11:46:20 IST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: eiidp <eiidp@md3.vsnl.net.in>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:22:02 +0530
To: "V. Sasi Kumar" <vsasi@vsnl.com>,Ramanraj K <ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in>
Subject: Re: [Fsf-friends] Memorandum to CSIR

> There should be a two fold strategy. Apart from a memorandum to top of the
> official hierarchy, we have to empower the lower strata of  scientific
> institutions in the use of swathanthra software.

The two fold strategy is a good idea. I have some experience with SEPSIT at Kannur. During this period we found that many govt. teachers were interested in GNU/Linux and we had given training to them. We had conducted some training to govt teachers initially. To our surprise many Management Schools came forward to use GNU/Linux. Many of the schools(both govt and mgmt) decided to use only GNU/Linux as the OS.
But the disappointing factor is that schools at Thiruvananthapuram and nearby districts are not interested in this matter. I think the main reason behind this is the lack of media coverage about "Swathantra Software". Actually in Kannur we got excellent backup from the Media and the local political leadership.
So the idea and advantages of "Swathanthra Software" should be primarily conveyed to the local scientific organizations which will eventually spread those ideas.
    About the memorandum to the President and PM, I think that one of us should prepare the draft and after verification and corrections, the signatures can be collected on an organization basis. Orgs such as SEPSIT, S2S2, CDIT, OSS, ATPS, FSF etc.. can take initiative in collecting signatures. Those who are members of other Mailing list may post this matter also.