[Fsf-friends] Re: FSF vs OSI ?

Krishna Pagadala krishnaact@yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 18:53:10 IST 2004

--- Ramanraj K <ramanraj@md4.vsnl.net.in> wrote:
> I think in reality, both FSF and OSI speed ahead in
> the same direction and both value freedom,

Do other people in the list and especially people in
"official" FSF India positions agree? Arun?

I believe that OS folks and FS movement members have
an important difference, it being that they do not
believe in the philosophy of the FSM. They only
believe in the "Open Source Model". Whereas the FSM
will still adhere to its philosophy even if Free
Software is not as rewarding as it is.

> inspite of the acrimonious debates on terminology.
> The OSI considers "open source" a sales pitch for
> "free software"

OSI is a direct attack on the philosophy (ideals) of
the FSM, the sooner we understand that the better it
is for all of us in FSM.

Krishna
BTW: OSI is only a small part of Open Source Folks
e.g. Bruce Perens is not part of OSI, but part of OS
folks.